This is a simple – quick to make – chili recipe using chicken and black beans (adapted from the original “Chicken and Black Bean Chili” recipe from Save On Foods). The original recipe serves six, my adaptation serves 10 or more. Also in my version, I add fresh mushrooms, kidney beans and a lot more tomato.
Meats and Veggies:
- 4 cubed chicken breasts (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 1 hand-full of diced mushrooms (1.5 cups)
- 1 diced large onion
- 1 diced large carrot
- 2 diced celery stalk
- 4 garlic gloves, minced
- 3 tbsp of Chili powder
- 3 tsp Cumin
- 3 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
Cans (12 oz or 355 ml.):
- 1 can of Western Family Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of kidney beans
- Salt and pepper for seasoning the chicken
- 4 tbsp of cooking oil for cooking the chicken pieces
- Sour Cream and Cilantro for garnish
- Beer and biscuits for sides
- Season the chicken (with salt and pepper) and then cut the chicken into small “bite size” pieces.
- In a large soup pot (or sauce pan) cook the chicken in 3 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Remove chicken when it’s cooked and set aside.
- Add veggies (onion, carrot, celery), mushrooms, garlic and spices to the same pan and cook for about 10 minutes (stir as it cooks).
- Add the canned tomatoes and bring to a boil, then simmer (simmer for about 20 minutes).
- Add the beans and cooked chicken and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- The beans might need more time.
- More hot sauce.
- Sour cream on the side.
- Cilantro garnish.
- Corn bread biscuits or corn bread muffins.
Did this recipe work for you? Comment below and let me know.
ps/ if you like black beans, check-out my Simple Black Bean Soup recipe here.